At 05:54 AM 2/8/03 -0500, David H. Bailey wrote:
>However, I do think your suggestion IS a very nice touch

I agree. Several years ago (way back in the relatively early online music
days 1997), Laurie Spiegel and I were trying to come up with a solution. At
the end of this essay (http://maltedmedia.com/books/papers/s8-music.html)
is the first of three options:
======
The Value-Added Composer. If music is the commodity, what is left? Just as
each performance is unique, the composer could offer new and unique
compositions to a list of 'registered' listeners--those who have paid a
small royalty or subscription fee to download and keep a composer's music.
The electronic equivalent of autographed manuscripts (with digital
signature and limited-edition number) can be created. Access to the
composer-as-personality becomes valuable, with loyal listeners waiting for
more; the composer thus appears as a real person to the listener, always
associated with the music; this would itself achieve an important goal of
composers in this long century. Though not going as far as suggesting
composer T-shirts and beach balls, this solution does imply the
composer-as-product in a product-oriented era--while managing to maintain
the art as art.
======

>I will be joining either ASCAP or BMI and would like to ask the list if
>anybody has any suggestions either way, along with any reasons why.

I've been a member of ASCAP for about 15 years. The reason I chose them is
because they approached me and asked, and BMI didn't. They provide
excellent bookkeeping, good royalty-chasing (venues, radio, etc.),
quarterly checks, and -- important for my role as a composer -- the
opportunity to apply for an annual ASCAP "award", described this way (I'm
just filling mine out): "The ASCAPlus Awards Program is for writer members
of any genre whose performances are primarily in venues not surveyed;
and/or writer members whose catalogs have a unique prestige value for which
they would not otherwise be compensated." My annual award has grown to
where it now represents about two weeks' of my regular income -- not much
overall, but certainly welcome.

I've also represented ASCAP before hearings in my state legislature (along
with pop composer & jingle writer [Burger King] Bobby Gosh) and
participated on their Internet technology committee (in 1995, when they
were looking ahead to issues that really arose more recently with the DMCA,
Napster, etc.). Our Kalvos & Damian radio show won the ASCAP-Deems Taylor
Award for Internet Journalism in 2000, so we got to get good snacks and a
nifty plaque at Lincoln Center. :)

Overall, I've been very happy with ASCAP's activism for us nonpop composers!

Dennis