ns suggested:

>"Copyright 1725 by J.S. Bach
>For the exclusive use of the choir of the Elector or Saxony"
>
>or
>
>"Copyright 1770, by W. A. Mozart
>For the exclusive private use of Empress Maria Theresa".
>
>As I see it, if the Empress Josephine heard of it, and wanted her own copy, it
>wiill take just a moment or two to call up the file, change "Maria Theresa" to
>Josephine, and provide Josephine, whether by e-mailed ~.pdf, or snail mailed
>original, her very own copy.  Also, by this method, it would be
>immediately obvious
>when the choirmaster from Saxony moved on to Prussia, took copies with
>him, and
>reproduced them.

I'm certainly no lawyer, but that sounds like whistling in the dark.  There
is no provision in the copyright law (u.s.) for any such announcement of
exclusivity, so no way to enforce it.  Of course if you entered into a
binding legal contract that says the same thing, then the notice would be
valid.

Anybody know how the Contemprary Christian publishers that license various
uses of their music handle the problem?

John

John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music