Hi David et al--

David wrote:

> You make an important point, but I feel that I need to trust my
> potential customers.  I realize that this may be naive, and that in
> reality photocopying may well occur, but there is really nothing I can
> do about it.  I don't think the extra steps necessary for the personal
> branding will help for that, since as you say it will be easy to simply
> mask the "Exclusively for the use of" statement.

At Handlo Music we use "© Handlo Music 200x: Licensed for limited copying
(see Terms)" The terms are explained clearly on our website.

> I am leaning towards distributing my music where each work would be
> combined into a single PDF file, scores and parts, and that the person
> who purchases it would also be purchasing the right to make as many
> copies as necessary for their group to use the work.  Thus it could be
> distributed as downloads or on CDrom, very easily, with almost no
> distribution expense on my end.

At Handlo we usually have choral pieces offered in the following formats and
the customer chooses what they want):
1- choral part only
2- choral w/ accompaniment

When the piece uses more than one instrument we also have:
1- conducting edition (all parts)
2- choral with accomp reduction
3- instrumental parts alone
Sometimes the instr parts are a single file, sometimes not.

> I believe I might also offer a printed version for an extra cost, on
> heavy-stock paper, for those who don't want to print their own.

I do this very thing at Harrock Hall Music, which is *separate* from
Handlo, on archival-quality papers. Shipping costs are the disincentive for
some people......

best to all, then-

Cecil Rigby
HarrockHallMusic