As I suggested earlier, when using an object based storage approach (which apparently Finale doesn't) the normal practice would be to store multiple versions of the objects so that back level releases would be able to see something they recognize.

As a user, I'd know that I shouldn't invest a lot of effort during the collaboration phase making the score look pretty. I'd do that work at the end of the project in a final typesetting pass.

It is no different with Word, Excel or any other end-user application. If you are collaborating electronically, it is up to the user to avoid the use of features that are above the "least common dominator" of the software in use by the partners. There really isn't anything new about that, as far as I can see.

Regards,
Craig