Craig Parmerlee writes:

> As I suggested earlier, when using an object based storage approach (which
> apparently Finale doesn't) the normal practice would be to store multiple
> versions of the objects so that back level releases would be able to see
> something they recognize.

So when we arrive at Finale2008, each Finale document stores
something like 4 different version of each individual note?

Since when is storing multiple versions of an object the "normal practice"
for storing object streams? Doesn't sound very OO to me. I thought that
objects normaly was stored with version IDs/tags/numbers, so the running
application can extract as much info as it can process from the object.

Anyway, this discussion is useless IMO. As I said earlier, there is a much
more efficient (both in time and in money) method to provide backward
compatibility since Fin2003 than to change the file format. Modifying the
internal object structure of Finale will solve nothing when it comes to plug-
ins for example, that needs to access Enigma database directly. And an
"Engima emulation layer" would only make things painfully slow.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson