I'd like to point out that I sent my message to Mr. Fenton privately, as I know this whole discussion is way beyond tiresome for this list. As Mr. Fenton decided to post it publicly, I can only surmise he has a keen desire for the last word on this subject, which I am more than happy to give him.

Regards,
Craig

At 06:43 PM 6/7/2003 -0400, David W. Fenton wrote:
On 7 Jun 2003 at 17:31, Craig Parmerlee wrote:

> At 03:58 PM 6/7/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> >On 7 Jun 2003 at 0:35, Craig Parmerlee wrote:
> >
> > > It is no different with Word, Excel or any other end-user application.
> >
> >Really, would you *stop* using these completely invalid comparisons
> >to programs that have file formats that are several orders of
> >magnitude less complex?
>
> Come on, man.  You're talking nonsense here.  Finale isn't orders of
> magnitude more complex than Word.  Quite the reverse.

I didn't say *Finale* was orders of magnitude more complex. I said
the Finale *file format* is more complex.

> Before lecturing me, educate yourself on the file system that Microsoft
> implemented in the early 1990s as the architectural foundation for storing
> files from all of their complex Office applications.  It is the foundation
> for auto save, incremental save, versioning, and backwards compatibility.

Pointers.

It uses pointers.

Big frigging deal.

Finale files are a database, with parent and child records (frames
are parents, notes are children of the frame, etc.). This is a far,
far more complicated structure than Word.

Excel is more complicated, though, as it does something much more
complicated.

But it's not at all as complex as a Finale file.