On 7 Jun 2003 at 8:28, Craig Parmerlee wrote:

> Every release of Finale I have used has supported slurs, 8va and
> practically all the SmartShapes that are used today.  Granted the
> SmartShapes changed the way these are manipulated (and presumably
> stored).  But in an object-oriented environment a successful strategy would
> store the objects BOTH ways and therefore allow the older program to find
> the version of the shapes it can recognize.

I don't think you really understand object-oriented programming.

In an OO storage structure providing backward compatibility, there'd
be a base class object that had the properties/methods common to all
versions. The then version-specific instance of that object would be
subclassed to add the newer properties/methods. This might very well
be something that cascades through various levels of subclassing.

But the real problem is what to do with elements that use conflicting
storage methods. Take, for instance, engraver slurs. There would be a
base slur class object, and it would be sub-classed by all the
versions that used that class object's structure. Then at a certain
point when engraver slurs were introduced, it might be that the new
structure could *not* be created by subclassing the old base class
object, so you'd need to base it on a new class object. Then the
issue of conversion would be a matter of converting the new class
object into the old, replicating the same look. That would require
some pretty fancy programming.

Leaving aside areas that were just wholesale added in (such as
graphics), there are dozens of such areas like that, such as text
handling.

The devil would be in the details of writing the conversion code to
convert one storage structure to the equivalent old structure. And my
bet is that it wouldn't be successful enough to be satisfactory for
the vast majority of users. If you're not satisfied with MIDI import,
I doubt you'd be satisfied with these conversions.