On Saturday, Jun 7, 2003, at 06:23 America/Vancouver, Jari Williamsson wrote:

(since Mac now have many things that Win32 has had for years, like easy multi-threaded multitasking, a good set of user controls, etc).

But Jari, I've been _using_ Carbon controls in plugins since 1998 and requesting support for them in the PDK since the autumn of that year. The threading calls which developers can use on OS X have been available since at least MacOS 8.6. I personally forwarded all the links to MPThread documentation and SDKs to Coda a few years ago. Just because Windows-oriented developers like yourself weren't aware of these things 5 years ago doesn't mean they didn't exist.

Multitasking as an issue is only important to Windows developers because DOS (and I think Windows before W95) never had anything like the (old) MacOS event loop concept in the first place.

Philip Aker http://www.aker.ca