On Saturday, June 7, 2003, at 07:02 PM, Craig Parmerlee wrote:

I'd like to point out that I sent my message to Mr. Fenton privately, as I know this whole discussion is way beyond tiresome for this list. As Mr. Fenton decided to post it publicly, I can only surmise he has a keen desire for the last word on this subject, which I am more than happy to give him.

Not to open up this can of worms again, but I feel I ought to point out that the list's default reply-to behavior makes it very, very easy to accidentally reply privately instead of posting to the list. David might well have believed that you *intended* to sent that message to the list, instead of to his private inbox, and therefore an on-list reply would be appropriate. This happens all the time.

If you *really* want to make a private, offlist reply, it's probably a good idea to put "OFFLIST" in the subject header.

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston MA

No one likes us
I don't know why
We may not be perfect
But heaven knows we try
But all around, even our old friends put us down
Let's drop the Big One and see what happens

- Randy Newman, "Political Science"