At 06:27 AM 6/11/2003 -0400, David H. Bailey wrote:

Tim Thompson wrote:
[snip]
Yes, I do this (1.) sometimes too, and have up M2 transposition programmed as metatool 8, and up P5 as metatool 9 (6 and 7 are octave transpositions). And, of course, the reason for doing it like this is to hear it correctly!

Why would you have to transpose?

You can simply have your score display in concert pitch (Options/Display In Concert Pitch) while entering any of your parts in concert pitch, and if you have the transpositions already setup properly in the staff setup dialog, you simply have to turn off Display in Concert Pitch and everything is tranpsosed properly.

But that misses the point. Why would anybody ever want to hear the wrong pitch? And why should it be necessary to go through a convoluted workaround to do something as simple as hear the right pitch? This isn't a "characteristic". It is a long-standing bug, a flaw, an annoyance. Just because some people have grown accustomed to the warts is not a good reason to perpetuate this illogical mode of operation IMHO.

If there were an option to do it both ways, I'd strongly encourage the default to be set such that you hear the right pitch all the time. For those who don't want to hear the right pitch, there could be an option button called "Have Finale play the wrong pitch".