Andrew stiller wrote:

As a clarinetist and bassoonist I can testify that this is hooey. I
have played professionally on every size of clarinet from Ab piccolo
to contrabass; it takes about 30 minutes to master any one of these
if you play the regular clarinet well, and once you have mastered
them you have the skill for life
Well, Andrew, as a clarinetist in a large regional orchestra, I have to
disagree with you. To truly master bass or Eb on a professional level, one
has to spend considerable time, not to mention expense. This is why these
instruments are assigned to a particular player. Anyone who thinks they
could perform Till Eulenspiegel on Eb or William Schuman's 3rd Symphony on
Bass after only 30 minutes of practice is sadly mistaken.

What this is really about is turf protection. The first desk player
plays only one size not as a musically necessary requirement, but as
a mark of status. I regard this as grotesquely unprofessional--maybe
a cynic would say "grotesquely professional," I don't know. I do know
I wouldn't put up with it. "You won't play anything but timpani?
Fine, the timp. in this piece will be played by one of the general
percussionists. You won't play English horn? Fine, We'll play Haydn's
22nd without you."
No, it's really about time management. If I had to play Miraculous Mandarin
a week before the pops concert in question I certainly would not want to
have to spend hours fooling with reeds for a 15 minute piece where I may be
heard only for 10 seconds. And if I am the principal oboe, I am not going to
go out and spend $8,000 on an English Horn just so I can play the
Philosopher. That's what assistant principals are for.
What you are saying may be true for a community orchestra, but in the big
leagues it's a whole 'nother world.

Ronald M. Krentzman
R&M Music Preparation