On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 04:57 PM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

Of course, I also think all orchl. music before Mahler shd. be played with the violin sections sitting opposite each other,

Not just *before* Mahler* but *including* Mahler, too, right? Zander does it this way for his Mahler recordings and performances, presumably because that's the way Gustav did it.

When were orchestras re-arranged to put all the violins on the same side? I much prefer the earlier "stereophonic violins" setup.

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston MA

No one likes us
I don't know why
We may not be perfect
But heaven knows we try
But all around, even our old friends put us down
Let's drop the Big One and see what happens

- Randy Newman, "Political Science"