--- Aaron Sherber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 11:41 PM 8/27/2003, Tyler Turner wrote:
>  >Actually for your example it's the same number of
>  >keystrokes. In Speedy Entry you press the pitch
> key
>  >and then the rhythm key for each note. In Simple
> Entry
>  >you press the octave key and the pitch key for
> each
>  >note. 2 each.
>
> Okay, but if the pitches are on different rhythms?

Yes, if the notes constantly change rhythms and are
continuously jumping octaves, you have a situation
where Speedy is faster. But this is extremely uncommon
in the music I've seen. I don't think it can be said
that this one scenario can allow Speedy to match the
overall speed of Simple, especially when you consider
how often the advantages of Simple Entry will come
into play. After all, continual octave jumping
passages are probably most "common" in keyboard music,
right? With Simple Entry, you now have the ability to
make chords quickly and switch layers with automatic
hidden rests. I'm going to go out on a limb and
suggest that these two features alone will more than
make up for that single scenario for virtually
everyone. And there are MANY more advantages in simple
entry.

>  >To give an example, with both Speedy and Simple
>  >Entry, try entering a C scale in eighth notes with
> an
>  >eighth rest after each note. Speedy can't compare
>  >Simple in this exercise.
>
> I'm not sure I understand. In Speedy, this
> alternates left and right hands.
> The left hand just runs up one row of the keyboard,
> which I can do without
> looking; the right hand keeps tapping 4 on the
> keypad. In simple, I have to
> think about where the notes are, even though I don't
> have to keep hitting
> the duration.

No, in Simple you can map the keys however you want.
Put them in in a row. It's quick and easy, and that's
the reason we included the feature.

Tyler