Robert Patterson Finale wrote:

David H. Bailey wrote:

Now I find out that I will have to go through and manually edit
EACH and EVERY expression in the new libraries if that is the
behavior I want.

How many is that? At most a couple dozen? That you have to change one
time in a template? I've found that with any new Finale feature, I
have to alter it to suit my taste.

Either that, or we're back to manually dragging many expressions
and visually getting them to line up.

My experience is that you do occasionally have to manually adjust the
vertical  position of some expressions assignments, esp. when the
note has an articulation that needs to be avoided.

And we can't edit individual expression placements.

That's just flat wrong, unless a new bug crept into the final
release. (I don't actually have it yet.)

When I use a metatool to place a text expression, I can't edit that placement individually from any other placement of the same expression. In other words, I can't edit one placement of F so that it is Below Baseline and have another placement of F be Below Baseline and Entry, without creating a duplicate expression with the different definition.

That's what I meant -- I realize I can edit the expression placements for each different expression in the library. But if I edit F to get one placement aligned with other expressions and not collide, that edit applies to ALL placements of F.

So it seems this is another marketing tool of limited usefulness in
the real world.

I don't know which real world you live in. In the one I live in,
automatic expressions are perhaps *the* most useful new feature in
the upgrade. I'm assuming we both live in the same real world, so I
figure either there is some basic misundstanding here (most likely)
or some grotesque bug that wasn't in any of the beta versions.

I'm just expecting too much of the program as it comes out of the box -- I figured it would give alignment of expressions when I placed expressions and it would be up to me to move those which collided, if I didn't want them aligned with the other expressions.

Turns out, it aligns MOST expression placements unless the program determines there might be a collision (my first 4 quarter-note test would have no collision, yet Finale seemed to think it would and so it offset my 4th beat expression).

So their publicity should have read "automatic alignment of expressions unless Finale feels there might be a collision" rather than "align expressions with automatic placement options" which is pasted right from MakeMusic's readme.rtf that installs with Fin2004.

I can see that I will have to edit all the expressions in my libraries to get them to work as I want them to with the new version. Not an insurmountable project, just not something I had thought would be necessary.

-- David H. Bailey [EMAIL PROTECTED]