On Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003, at 19:33 US/Pacific, Klaus Bjerre wrote:

I don’t print that much after hooking up on the web and using Adobe Acrobat for creating .pdf files.

Yet it bothers me quite a bit, that I have a very good printer, an Apple Laser Writer Select 360, which I only can utilise in a quite cumbersome way:

Sending .pdf files via Ethernet to my older PowerMac.

Deselect AppleTalk on the old PM.

Reset AppleTalk to operate via the Printer port.

And first then order the printing to go on.

If there is any proofing to be done, the endless row of resets takes the fun out of any printing situation. So for the daily printing tasks I have a HP psc 950, which however cannot compete in B&W output quality.

Keyspan makes an USB Twin Serial Adapter:

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/usa28x/

Which however is not compatible with the Apple Laser Writer Select 360.

Keyspam advises on the existence of solutions, which can connect such serials printers to Ethernet. But as they don't make them, they don't give any specifications such a makers or more.

Could somebody in this cunning forum kindly point me in the right direction?

Hello Klaus,

If you have a really old Mac, an old system like 7.5.3, and an Ethernet card in the old Mac, you should be able to use the LaserWriter Bridge software to have printing hooked up so you don't have to switch AppleTalk. It is working for me very well but my printer is different and the driver for it comes with OS X. You may be able to find an OS X driver for the 360 in the Gimp distributions. LaserWriter Bridge is distributed as part of some old system extras package that might be called Network Software Install. It is available from the Apple archives.

The Stealth adapter can work with a LaserWriter Bridge for OS X product the same company makes and gives away for free.

Lastly, I've heard some rumors about serial port printing being implemented in Panther so that could be another option if it turns out to be true. It will work like how holding down the Option key and choosing Add Printer from the menu bar menu in Print Center does in Jaguar.

HTH,

Philip Aker
http://www.aker.ca