At 1:08 PM 10/16/03, d. collins wrote:

>I'm also wondering if the rules are the same for a regular printed text and
>for vocal music. In Latin, for instance, one sees in sacred music divisions
>that don't correspond to normal "syllables". (e.g. no-stra rather than
>nos-tra).

In Italian there's no need to make the rules for vocal music different from
the rules for regular printed text, because Italian already divides in a
way compatible with singing (ie, before a consonant cluster, with
exceptions).  Latin divides mostly between consonant pairs, including those
beginning with "s".  Many music editors amend the Latin rules to divide
before an "s".

mdl