Dennis wrote, asking about the syllabificaton of the Latin word "nostra" as "no-stra" rather than "nos-tra", wrote, in part:.

In Latin, for instance, one sees in sacred music divisions that don't correspond to normal "syllables". (e.g. no-stra rather than nos-tra).

Well, there is Ecclesiastical authority for "no-stra". In my copy of the Liber Usualis, (Descleé & Co., Belgium, 1961), in the Gloria for Masses V, VIII, XII, XV, and in the "ad libitum" chant IV for the Gloria the word "nostram" in the phrase "súscipe deprecatiónem nóstram", the word is hyphenated as "nó-stram".

One wonders if this is a manifestation of an attempt at standardizing pronunciation, similar to the U.S. choral music edition which "respelled" syllables in an attempt to aid singing pronunciation (I'm tempted to say, but don't have documentation at hand at the moment, that this was one of Waring's companies: the singer was provided with a lyric--besides the "correct" spelling--in which "make me" would be printed something on the order "ma kmee", with macrons with the purpose of fostering proper singing technique), or whether, since there are Latin words in which "str" is a cohesive phoneme (cf. "stragilis") the editor was of the opinion that no-stram was in fact the proper syllabification.

I notice too, that according to several exemplars, the syllabification specfied in the Liber Usualis for is "San-ctus". Otherwise, it is almost a very common practice to have a vowel as the terminal sound of almost all but the last syllable.

ns