Christopher BJ Smith wrote:
At 10:46 AM -0500 1/09/04, Aaron Sherber wrote:

At 10:02 AM 1/9/2004, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:

Your last sentence illustrates my point. Why do trombones (and tubas)
get off easily, while trumpets have to transpose?

What? First of all, from the player's point of view, it's the trumpets who get off easily, because the way their part is notated is related to the physics of the instrument. Tenor trombone players have to re-orient themselves to a Bb harmonic series to have the same effect.

Re-orient? I'm a trombone player, and I learned Bb is the open note. Concert pitch. Nothing to re-orient there. Why can't trumpet players learn as beginners that concert Bb is the open note? Once again, convention. Nothing wrong with that, except everyone has to deal with transposition.

And your point is . . .? What's wrong with dealing with transposition?

--
David H. Bailey