The old British Brass Band system actually illustrates the practicality of
transposing instruments.  Forgetting trombones for a moment, just think
about it: everyone in the room, from Eb soprano cornet down to Bb Bass
[tuba] has the same notation and fingering for every note.  Players can, and
often do, shift from one instrument to another with only a mouthpiece
adjustment.  If someone asks "What's the fingering for G#?"  the director
doesn't even have to look up to see who asked the question before he answers
"2&3"!  For every American beginning band director (with thirteen or so
different fingerings, transpositions, and types of sounds productions to
teach every day) who has envied the orchestra director down the hall whom he
can hear yelling "For E, everyone put your index finger on the D string!
Now, everybody downbow!" to his whole group, the British brass band system
would be simplicity defined.

But, in the real world, American brass band publications in the last decade
or two often include alternate bass clef parts.

Of course, the bass trombone part has always, traditionally been in bass
clef.  I assume that is because the instrument of choice in England in the
past was the bass trombone in G, but when that (perhaps somewhat rarer)
instrument wasn't available, a tenor in Bb could fill in, reading the bass
clef part.  (Just my assumption - we should all give thanks they didn't give
it a treble clef part in G!)

Trombonists around here usually don't complain much about treble clef in
brass band because they can read the Bb treble as "tenor clef, add 2 flats"
(but watch out for those C flats in "Montreal Citadel" - they may look like
B flats but they're really B double flats!)    If your trombonists balk at
the clef, get them a copy of Reginald Fink's _Introducing Tenor Clef_ - it
even has a section on reading Bb treble clef.

Euphonium and Baritone players should (hopefully) realize the need to become
familiar with Bb treble if they are not already - it's a great part of their
tradition.

The worst problem is for the C tuba players.  They can handle the Eb treble
clef parts by reading them as "bass clef, add three flats" but they often
have a lot of trouble with the Bb treble parts.  Bb tuba players are usually
fine with treble clef.

I've arranged and written several pieces for a local brass band.  At first I
printed treble and bass clef parts for all the trombones, euphs, and basses,
but later I figured out that all I needed to print were treble clef-only for
the trombones and euphs, and bass clef-only for the basses.

Ray Horton