Thanks for posting my previous email correctly...apologies...

'sfz subito p' is a more sudden descent to piano than 'sfzp', as indicated by the extra word. 'sfzp' is a more sudden attack than 'sfp', or at least that's how I've always interpreted it. But my main point is not how each one should be interpreted, but that there _should_ be an audible difference between each when performed, however the player chooses to realise that (and that will obviously depend on the instrument).

Re. engraving - if I wasn't sure whether the different uses of the terms was intended, I'd ask the composer/arranger if they were, and if not whether they should be standardised.

Mark D Lew wrote:
This came as a private email to me, but I'm fairly certain that Owain intended to post it to the List:

==