I wrote:

It 's not so much a matter of having separate text, as being able to
determine more easily while looking at the edit lyrics window which
syllables are assigned to which notes.

To which David responded,

Exactly why do you need to know this?

I have found the advantage of being able to fix spelling and syllabification errors in one place to vastly outweigh any ability to have independent lyrics, which can be easily done by adding variants for those situations.

Well, if I were using your method with mine, which I understand to be multiple assignment of syllables, I'd use the tags to clarify for later use which variant is in used where in the score.

ns