Giovanni Andreani wrote:

On Jul 9, 2004, at 12:31 AM, Giovanni Andreani wrote:

This is what i get on my Mac with Fin 2k4c:

1. Only icon B selected: two dots with double bar and no bracket
2. Only icon D selected: a single bracket with editable text
3. Selecting B first then D: a double bracket appears, with the right
bracket not having a left hook and the editable text attached to the left
bracket
4. Selecting D first then B: the single D bracket becomes double when
selecting the B icon: same result as where 3.

It seems there is no way to get out from this situation; does anyone use
alternate solutions? Any particular plugin?

I still don't understand what the problem is. For 1st endings, you want both B and D. Why does it matter if the bracket is double? The two horizonal lines overlap exactly and it appears fine, right?

mdl

If you want to manually adjust, lets say, the right hook, dragging it's
handle to one side will not drag the other bracket's handle, so, the
overlapping is not always guaranteed. I still 'ld like to know what the
sense of two overlapped brackets is.

The two overlapped brakets are merely there when you have only one measure in the first ending. But if you create a first ending of, for example, 5 measures, you put what you call icon B in the final measure of the ending and icon D in the first measure, you don't end up with a closing tail to the bracket. But if you use icon C in the 5th measure, you then don't have overlapping lines at all, since icon D's line is only one measure long and icon C's line is only one measure long, leaving 3 intervening measures with no line clearly indicating that they are part of the first ending. So you drag the two lines until the meet (my experience is that it is best to leave them overlapping some) and you have a complete ending bracket.

I just experimented with my suggested solution and I hadn't tried it yet in 2004 before I suggested it to you -- how odd to have Finale change the repeat sign to icon C when you select icon B simply because it realizes you are creating a complete first ending. I hate it when programs don't do what I tell them to do, as if they are smarter than I or that I don't have the right to do things differently than their narrow programming paradigms have predicted.

So if you don't want the two brackets (or the appearance of having two brackets, or the right hook at the end of the bracket) it seems that with Fin2004 we're stuck with having to drag the handle of the hook to make it appear not to be there.

--
David H. Bailey