On Jul 9, 2004, at 3:26 AM, dhbailey wrote:

I just experimented with my suggested solution and I hadn't tried it yet in 2004 before I suggested it to you -- how odd to have Finale change the repeat sign to icon C when you select icon B simply because it realizes you are creating a complete first ending. I hate it when programs don't do what I tell them to do, as if they are smarter than I or that I don't have the right to do things differently than their narrow programming paradigms have predicted.

I just did this experiment, and I see I get the same result. That is: If you put a backward-repeat-without-bracket in a measure, and then in the same measure also put a first-ending item, then Finale automatically converts the backward-repeat-without-bracket into a backward-repeat-WITH-bracket. That is indeed strange. I hadn't noticed it before because I've never needed that particular combination. Whenever I've had both in the same bar, I wanted the closing bracket, so I always picked the with-bracket option in the first place.

So is this the essence of the problem Giovanni was having which I could never quite understand? I can see that if you want the repeat bar with the dots and no hook at all, then it looks like you have to reduce the hook to zero individually. But I thought he was saying the problem was getting two separate hooks that don't line up and he really did want to keep one of them, in which case we're back to the Back Hook problem, which you're saying in 2k4 won't go away even if you set it to zero in the Options. I'm not having that problem in 2k2.

mdl