On 23 Aug 2004 at 18:56, Christopher Smith wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2004, at 5:03 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > On 21 Aug 2004 at 18:57, Christopher Smith wrote:
> >
> >> One is a Logitech cordless optical mouse
> >
> > Wait until the batteries start to run out.
> >
> > Which should be about two hours after you hook it up.
> >
> > More specifically: none of my clients have kept used a cordless
> > mouse for very long, because the batteries run out so quickly, and
> > start causing unreliability of the mouse pointer so soon that it's
> > just too annoying to deal with.
>
> Heh, heh! Thanks for the concern, but I thought of that already. I
> have two pairs of rechargeable AA cells, so when one pair goes, I will
> use the other two from the set. They are supposed to be good for
> 300-500 chargings. They make a rechargeable cordless mouse with a
> charging stand, too, which was a few dollars more, but I knew I had
> those AA cells at home. So far I am about a week into it on the
> Duracell batteries that came with it, and no sign of letting up.

One of my clients has the same setup. They went back to the plain old
optical mouse with a tail because the rechargable batteries don't
last long enough, and at the end of their usable charge, the mouse
becomes very eratic.

> I also have my old mouse within reach in case of emergencies, which is
> hot-pluggable. I don't even have to reboot.

I wouldn't have a cordless mouse, myself. I've used them when the
batteries are going, and it's intolerable.