On 28 Jan 2005 at 23:50, Owain Sutton wrote:
> I tire of this belief that all spam is from harvested emails.  A good
> proportion of the spam I receive (on several different accounts) is
> also CCed to endless permutations of my surname - all it takes is a
> list of first names, a list of surnames, a list of top level domains,
> and software.  Much easier than bothering to trawl the web.

That's odd, because when I see an email with a lot of addresses CC'd
at my ISP, the addresses are all real addresses (I've checked by
viewing the USR directory of my ISP's server). That shows that the
addresses really *are* harvested, not made up by algorithm.

This is not to say that there aren't plenty such spammers using
algorithmically created spam lists, just that harvesting is real.

It's *very* real.