Well, my account for mailing lists is [EMAIL PROTECTED], and most of the spam on that address is clearly addressed to exactly that address, which is not exactly a very common address, both before and after the @. Some spam is addressed to [EMAIL PROTECTED], but none is addressed to any random names (which I would receive as well). I am afraid I put the blame on the Finale archives. When I google for this address, all that shows up is a few results from the archive. Surprisingly few, (4) but it's enough to generate quite an amount of Spam.

As far as I know the Finale list archives have been obscuring email addresses for some time, but it seems it didn't always work. That's bad enough and for that reason I am happy that the archives are going to be private in the future.

Johannes

Owain Sutton wrote:
OK, I concede that most of the algorithm-based CC's are to my junk account with Hotmail etc., where there's going to be a higher hit-rate for randomly generated addresses.

Simon Troup wrote:

That's odd, because when I see an email with a lot of addresses CC'd at my ISP, the addresses are all real addresses (I've checked by viewing the USR directory of my ISP's server). That shows that the addresses really *are* harvested, not made up by algorithm.

This is not to say that there aren't plenty such spammers using algorithmically created spam lists, just that harvesting is real.

It's *very* real.

I agree. If Owains theory was correct (that email addressed to simon.troup is random) I should also be getting some stuff addressed to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED] This is clearly not the case. I've got catch all email setup on my server, so I see every every message.
There's next to no random stuff on there except when people try to spoof my address for sending spam and I get the "message undeliverable" notices.

-- http://www.musikmanufaktur.com http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de