David W. Fenton wrote:

If that's the kind of obfuscation to be used, then the archive should not be public. If email addresses are obfuscated, they should be wholly obfuscated, and not available to either human or software viewers of the page.

to which I would observe that with the processor speed these days, it's probably trivial to harvest email addresses out of the body of the message, not only those which are not obfuscated, but those which have been self-obfuscated. The heuristic for this would be simple: find every instance of "net", com", &c., and take the characters immediately preceding, discard any spaces, convert any instances of "dot" to a period, check the string immediately preceding that against a list of known domains, and convert any instances of "at" before the domain to the @ sign, and consider the characters preceding that to be a user name.

Personally in my view, the most expedient solution to Spam, virii, and worms, is to do as I have done: next time you get a new computer, save the old one, remove everything from it except the OS, a browser, and internet related plug ins, and use only the Iomega network for transferring files from your internet machine to any other. Also, learn to use the filtering capabilities of your browers, create your own spam traps. Finally, regularly back up the email archives you wish to save.

Then, in the worst case, your internet machine is infected with a virus, it becomes trivial to low-level format the HDD, reinstall the OS and plug-ins, and restore archives.

If you really want to have your main machines connected to the internet, set up a local server, and put in two firewalls, one between the internet connection and your bread-and-butter machines, and one between the internet connectiona dn your ISP's server.

ns