At 12:58 PM 6/29/05 -0400, David W. Fenton wrote:
>Why would anyone use a 6 for 3 beats?

All of this discussion presumes that the barlines are not visual
placeholders. The evolution of music in the past half-century has included
substantial visual barring, where notes are grouped for their ease of
reading and the barlines and time signatures are peripheral to the metrical
progress, even if they may remain helpful to the sense of the note lengths.

In the case of 6/4, the visual placeholder may fall for one, a few,
several, many or all 'measures' where the note arrangement is dominated by
clusters of six quarter notes, even if the same 6/4 measures also contain,
say, three half notes, 4 dotted quarters, numerous tuplets, and
eighth-quarter-dottedhalf-quarter-eighth symmetries, with no duple or
triple beating implicit. Analysis or a score notation is needed due to the
absence of a reasonable fallback solution that doesn't carry beat
implications.

But sometimes saying the barlines are merely visual doesn't help much at
performance time. I have an example. A quintet I wrote about a decade ago
contained no barlines because the lines were long and irregular phrases
without traditional rhythmic verticalities. The performers found it
difficult to rehearse, and asked if I could add regular barlines to help
them find their way. I was reluctant, but ultimately created a barred score
(dashed barlines) so they could rehearse more easily. The result was music
played with syncopations where there were none -- because now that the
musicians had barlines, they acted as if those barlines had rhythmic
meaning. Grim.

Performers of early music transcriptions fall into syncopations where the
melodic line doesn't shoehorn into post facto divisions, but I leave that
argument to the experts. Suffice it to say that there are some bizarre
performances of "Ma Bouche Rit"... :)

Dennis