On 29 Jun 2005 at 13:29, Christopher Smith wrote:

> On Jun 29, 2005, at 12:58 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > On 29 Jun 2005 at 3:59, Darcy James Argue wrote:
> >
> >> I didn't realize that the 2x3/4 division was more common than the
> >> 3x2/4 division, but of course you're right about the correct rests
> >> in that case.
> >
> > 6/4 has always been a 2-beat measure, just like 6/8.
> >
> > If that were not the case, there'd be no reason for either meter to
> > exist at all, as 6/8 divided into 3 beats is just 3/4, and 6/4
> > divided likewise, just 3/2.
> >
> > Why would anyone use a 6 for 3 beats?
>
> Well, as an alternative to 4/4 + 2/4, for clarity, as a situation I
> was in recently.
>
> The piece was in a medium 4/4, but at one point we needed an extra two
> beats (two half notes turned into a half and a whole) so rather than
> insert a measure of 2/4 and screw up everyone's bar numbers, I made it
> a measure of 6/4. That made it very clear that the beat was a quarter
> note, and there were six of them in that measure, rather than whatever
> 3/2 would have implied (beat is a half note, with three of them? More
> confusing for sight reading, IMHO, especially if I beat it in 6, which
> I did.)

Well, to me, the confusion comes either way. If I saw 6/4 in that
context I'd think "two beats of dotted half," which seems a much
worse alternative than 3/2 implying "three beats of half note." The
former is completely contradictory of your intent, while the latter
at least lines up the strong accents in the right place.

I would think the smartest thing to do is to use 6/4 with a dotted
barline, or to simply write out what you mean, which is 4/4 + 2/4, or
even 4+2 over 4.

I'm not at all clear on what is wrong with the switch to 2/4. If you
want to make sure that the 2/4 is not landed on like a downbeat, then
3/2 seems to me to work very well.

> There are numerous Afro-Latin beats that are written in 6/8 or 3/4 or
> 6/4 or 12/8 that divide into 3+3 and 2+2+2 in alternate measures, or
> alternate halves of measures, as well. . . .

Well, that goes back to the Renaissance convention I talked about in
another post. In that case, you're not in one meter or the other, so
it's something of an arbitrary choice which time signature you use.

> . . . There is one that I am playing
> right now with a band, ostensibly in 12/8 but at any moment you can
> hear each measure not only in 4 (dotted quarters), but in a big 3
> (half notes), a medium 6 (quarters), or even a medium-to-small 8 (!)
> (dotted eighths) depending on which instrument of the rhythm section
> you are listening to at a given time.
>
> I suppose what I am saying is that even though there is ample
> historical precendent for 6 generally being in 3+3, just about
> anything goes these days.

I don't think your latter example contradicts the point at all.

I was responding to the idea that a piece that is really 3 half-note
beats would be notated as 6/4, which makes no sense to me at all.

Once other metrical divisions of the beat come into play, 6/4 has its
merits and 3/2 becomes misleading and wrong.