At 12:38 PM -0400 4/7/06, Phil Daley wrote:
At 4/7/2006 11:33 AM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

 >Indeed he could not. Having him speak the lyrics in rhythm was a
desperate kludge that turned out to be perfect for the character. Each
of the songs does in fact have a clear melody that you can hear in the
orchestra; the combination of this w. Harrison's spoken delivery
results in a combined effect very close to what one would experience if
he had actually been singing.

My question is, could you have notated a part for Professors Higgins, such that, a performer unaware of previous performances, could have replicated that part?

Of course. Couldn't you? X-noteheads have been used to represent relative pitch in speech for rather a long time. But I submit that there is no such person as a performer unaware of previous performances. Only a fool would audition for the King unaware of Yul Bryner, or Prof. Higgins unaware of Rex Harrison. After all, they created the roles! If you have to invoke a fantasy world I'm afraid you're on shaky ground.

Robert Preston, on the other hand, really could sing quite decently if not operatically, and his speech-song was part of his character in "Music Man."

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music