On Apr 7, 2006, at 12:38 PM, Phil Daley wrote:

My question is, could you have notated a part for Professors Higgins, such that, a performer unaware of previous performances, could have replicated that part?

Short answer, yes.

The score of My Fair Lady has parts (not all) of HIggins' songs written out in unpitched notation ("Why Can't Woman Be Like A Man" "Let A Woman In Your Life"). Also, check out Menotti, many parts of many operas, operettas, and vocal works. It IS doable. How much of the inflection would be exactly replicable is up for discussion, but that is the case with just about ANY music. You don't seem to have a point here.

And, here is a question for notaters in general:

If rap is music. How many of you would be interested in notating it?

Once again, you seem to have a singular knack for non-sequiturs.

I've notated rap a number of times. I don't manage to get down all the inflections, but that wasn't the point. The point of it WAS to get it down in a way that it could be studied and performed, perhaps not exactly as the original performer did it, but in a stylistically appropriate way, just as students of jazz sometimes perform transcriptions of improvisations and wedding bands perform covers of popular tunes.

I have notated both the bed tracks and the vocals, and neither one was any more difficult than any other pop music transcription I've done, and considerably easier than a lot of jazz transcriptions.

But what does our interest in notating it have to do with anything? I wrote it down because I had to, like a lot of what I do, not because I was particularly interested in it. The fact that is WAS notatable is not germane to any real definition of music, either. I have transcribed lots of things that were not music, like speeches and poems; the mere fact that I was able to notate them does not make them music.

Christopher