In what ways are Macs not upgradeable?

I upgraded the processor on my previous Mac (a beige G3 desktop) three times. I added memory, swapped in new video cards, added a new internal hard drives, added FireWire/USB support, a new optical drive, a new sound card. If I'd wanted to, I could have added a new hard drive controller.

Looking at current machines, the Mac Pro is every bit as upgradeable as any WinTel box. The Intel chips Apple has been using are socket- compatible, which makes upgrading the processor even easier than before. It's also much easier to *open* the Mac Pro case than it is to open most PC cases (no tools required), and the hard drives are even on removable sleds that slide out and click back into place (no cables needed).

The upgrade options for notebooks are limited, period -- but the MacBook and MacBook Pro have the most easily accessible hard drives of any notebook computer.

Granted iMacs and Mac minis are harder to upgrade (except for memory), but these are, consumer-level machines, targeted at an audience that does not typically upgrade their computers.

Macs also do not depreciate nearly as fast as PCs, which means it's often more economical to sell the used machine and buy a new one rather than upgrading the old one.

Can we please put the kibosh on these pointless platform wars? Especially when the arguments are so ill-informed.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://secretsociety.typepad.com