At 07:47 PM 10/11/06 -0400, Darcy James Argue wrote:
>How often does the average Wintel user upgrade their motherboard?

A good question. Since I do the work for myself, family and a friend (all
of us relatively poor), this probably happens more often than 'average'
users. My own machine is the original from 1993, upgraded piece by piece
from a 486 processor with 8MB memory. Only the diskette drive (yes, still
there) is original, 13 years old. It's had 2 new cases, 3 new power
supplies, dozens of hard drives, and 5 motherboards. My wife's machine, 3
motherboards (she gets first hand-me-down), the backup machine 3, the
server 2, and my composer colleague David 2.

A motherboard is less than a $100 investment if I stay just behind first
adopters, and look for good processors and overclocking options. My ratio
of money & time works out okay for me.

Dennis