As both a Windows and Mac user, I'd say never. Cause Windows XP, in my experience, never boots right if you pull a motherboard and try to boot with your old system. And, if it does boot, Windows knows you've changed systems, and you need to re-authenticate it. You basically have to devote hours to reinstalling Windows. Not fun. Not fun at all.

Here is a good explanation of the ordeal one would face.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Darcy James Argue wrote:
When the processor is upgradeable (socket-compatible), it seems to me there is little point in upgrading the motherboard on any computer. At that point, you might as well just buy a completely new machine, no?

How often does the average Wintel user upgrade their motherboard?

Cheers,

- Darcy