At 09:24 PM 10/15/06 -0700, Mark D Lew wrote:
>I think I've cited this sample before, but a page on Recordare's site
><http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/recordare/SullPina02Sample.pdf> shows a
>good example of the tug-of-war between lyrics and music.

There are hand-engraved scores where font width changes occur. I first
noticed these many years ago when I was a pre-composer working in a public
library, looking at scores I couldn't read. I saw operas where the letters
were narrower on some words, and sometimes even turned vertical with common
short words. (As a kid I'd also noticed how newspapers sometimes spaced
letters in individual words further apart to justify lines of text. I
must've been a stranger kid than I remember.)

Finale supports font changes in the edit lyrics dialog, but does not
support vector resizing (as in typical graphics programs) or letter spacing
(I forget if kerning is adjustable in Finale). This is a font-change
example, using Arial and Arial Narrow:
  http://maltedmedia.com/images/finale/narrow-font.jpg
By switching fonts in the same family, the text reading isn't hindered and
the rhythmic spacing is undisturbed.

Much easier would be to be able to tweak entries by narrowing them by eye
or by a formula that would effect a compromise between adjusting font
parameters and music spacing. One could set rules:
1. When any parameter adjustment would 'kick in' (the distortion percentage
of rhythmic values).
2. Which parameters could be changed (letter spacing, kerning, font
narrowing, font size changing, font family, rotation).
3. The order of parameter change.
4. The bounds for tightening the font (maximum allowed parameter change
before the next parameter would be used).
5. The number of allowed changes per measure, system and page (so it
doesn't look jumbled).

Dennis

--

Please participate in my latest project:
http://maltedmedia.com/waam/