Mark,

Thanks for a great overview about lyric spacing. One thing you didn't mention at all is how the rhythmic value of the note might affect spacing, particularly if there is a long syllable on a short note value, like "through" on a sixteenth. I seem to run into this an awful lot, and I can NEVER get a measure with this combination in it to look right, no matter what I do. Possibly this is because I don't really know what takes precedence over what.