On Feb 6, 2007, at 7:44 PM, Randolph Peters wrote:

Remember, Indiana is a state that once tried for simplicity's sake to legislate that Pi=Three.
(That's 3 with no other decimals!)

Half true, but I think you're stretching it to say that they "tried" to legislate it. The proposed legislation doesn't actually say that pi = 3. Rather, it makes some nonsensical assertions about the area of a circle which, when one attempts to make sense out of them, imply that pi = 3 (among other things).

The state house had no idea what it was voting for when it passed the bill. Once it became known, the bill died in the state senate.

Background story at <http://www.americanheritage.com/email/articles/ web/20070205-indiana-pi-archimedes-william-shanks-edwin-j-goodwin- taylor-record.shtml>. Text of the actual legislation at <http:// www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Indiana%20once%20tried%20to%20change %20the%20value%20of%20pi>.

mdl

P.S. When I hit "reply", this email was targeted to Randolph only. Looking at Randolph's message I see that it has no reply-to header, while all the other List messages do. Anyone know what's up with that?