At 7:55 PM -0700 6/22/07, Chuck Israels wrote:
On Jun 22, 2007, at 6:37 PM, Williams, Jim wrote:

There may indeed be some real "teachable moments" in this...would make students more aware of good performance practice and also might make for less mundane MIDI renderings as well! Has anyone authored a "jazz performance practice" text as has been done for other types of music?

Jim

No one has written that book, though I have some things that touch on the subject - especially accompanying, on the "articles" page of my web site. You are welcome to have a look. They are printable as pdfs.

Dave Berger is the guy to write the part of such a book that applies to the winds, and he and I could write the rhythm section part together. All in all, it would suggest contradictions to a lot of contemporary school learned practice.

As most know, jazz is not my primary interest, but as someone who is heavily involved in medieval-renaissance-baroque performance practice, here are some thoughts.

I think we are both too close to and too far away from the question of jazz performance practice to do a good job at this time. But I have to qualify that. Certainly mainstream, early C21 performance practice can be described, and described well, by those who are practicing it, but there is no single jazz style and no single jazz performance practice. Just think of the differences between Bix or Louis ragging a tune in the early days, Miles mumbling through it so very creatively, and Doc or Sandoval approaching it with impeccable technique and chops. And how do you explain Maynard?!! Same thing for generations of tenor players, every one individual in approach, sound, and results. In fact individuality was always a big goal. And styles were metastisizing all over the place, first the split between big band and bebop in the '40s, then between East Coast and West Coast jazz in the 60s, and not much later the split between acoustic and electric and fusion and 'all that jazz'!

And yes, I agree with whoever said that active performance practice is going to differ from what's taught in "Jazz Studies" courses, which seem to me mostly to concentrate on the ritual adoration of the be-boppers complete with transcriptions and imitations. (If I'm wrong, tell me so, but isn't that the whole Berklee approach?)

In approaching baroque performance practice, there's first the basic training. No, the dots don't mean the same thing as they do today. Yes, there are tempo hints that are different from today's. Yes, you're expected to improvise either ornaments or ornamentation, in either the French or Italian styles, and sometimes (but only sometimes!) to add the lilt or swing of notes inegales. Yes, trills are ornamented appoggiaturas and their speed fits the speed of the movement. No there was no standard pitch; no, not just a DIFFERENT standard pitch, NO standard pitch; yes pitch was lower in Paris and higher in Venice, and that changes the sound of the music, and different pitches in every town and church and castle.

Then comes the advanced stuff. Pure tuning--none of this equal tempered crap. Dealing with keyboard temperaments and harmonic vs. melodic tuning. Straight tone with vibrato used as an ornament (sound familiar?). A range of articulations much wider than the limited skill set that came out of C19 conservatories. Creative improvisation and improvised cadenzas rather than book-learned ornaments. And so on.

Different yet for renaissance music, where much was left to the band leader or choir director, but where church or court musicians tended to work together for years at a time. And even moreso in medieval music, where Tom Binkley firmly believed that no two performances of a given tune were EVER the same!

Seems to me the same kinds of things are true in jazz. There's certainly the basic training, which separates the potential jazz players from the straight ones, but then there's advanced training in every different style and substyle. And the almost certain guarantee that by the time the book is written, someone somewhere is going to be doing things in a new and different way. But then that's true of every living and growing art, isn't it?

John

--
Prof. John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music