On 7 Aug 2007 at 7:35, Lawrence David Eden wrote:

> I use the RAM Disk to store Finale Temp files and the music that I am
> working on during a given session.  Sure, HDs are fast these days, but
> HDs have moving parts.  The RAM Disk is ultra fast, and has no moving
> parts...faster than any HD, and RAM is cheap.  I don't consider
> assigning some of my plentiful RAM to a RAM Disk to be a waste of
> memory.  The speed boost is worth it and I am saving ware and tear on
> my HD.

With virtual memory and disk caching both active, you are wasting
memory by using a RAM disk, especiallyl if it's a fixed-size RAM
disk. The memory that is used up by the RAM disk would be better
managed by your virtual memory manager and your OS's disk caching
mechanisms. The only thing a RAM disk will speed up is the amount of
time it takes to save a file.