I noticed that you did not mention testing the file's integrity, & removing deleted items.
I would certainly give these routines a try...maybe you'll get lucky.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please jump in.

Waiting for you guys to answer (for which many thanks), I tried several things, with no luck:
- I imported the music spacing options from another document; no change
- I tried to respace preceding movements, and they get messed up also
- I tried adding measures at the end; no luck
- I cleared all the entries from the document and copied the 5th movement as the first; no luck either - I pasted this movement in another document with the same options, and the spacing is correct - I tried a much larger reference width (going from 84 to 300); the spacing is wider, but sill completely crazy, with unexpected collisions.

So, I'm afraid you're right, the file is corrupted. I send it to technical support, and I'll let you know what they have to say...

I also noticed a few other strange things (before this problem even came up).
- in a couple of places, I had two grace notes at the end of a couple of bars; at some time, against my will, these grace notes all jumped after the barline to the beginning of the next bar. So I deleted them and rentered them. But I couldn't respace the music correctly after that.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Dennis