On 20 Nov 2007 at 5:50, dhbailey wrote:

> Barbara Touburg wrote:
> > David W. Fenton wrote:
> >> On 19 Nov 2007 at 15:26, Barbara Touburg wrote:
> >>
> >> I agree -- I wouldn't add any cautionaries at all. It seems perfectly
> >> fine to me, a "problem" that shows up only when reading the score.
> >> That kind of mode shift is standard for the repertory and I don't
> >> think it would give a singer a problem at all.
> >
> > David, I think we might be purists!
>
> Purists or not, you're obviously part of the initiated who have already
> learned much about the period and the style of music.

Huh? The music as presented in the example follows all the modern
rules for accidentals, which last for a full measure are
automatically cancelled at the end of the bar. That means that the
original, with no courtesy accidentals is correct. The only thing the
F natural would be doing would be reminding the person who has
forgotten the modern notational rules that the F# was cancelled by
the bar line.

Others have raised the issue of orchestral musicians, but I think
that's a red herring. This is not a score for them, but for singers,
and singers and pro orchestral musicians need completely different
kinds of approaches to supplying courtesy accidentals.

> For people used to singing modern school choral works based in style on
> jazz/pop/broadway styles and who might select that particular edition as
> a first venture into a much older style, the cautionaries may well make
> for a better performance.

Or it might be a good tool to teach the students to read *what's on
the page* and nothing else.

> Which gets back to the point several have made about who is the audience
> the edition is intended for.

I just don't see the utility of attempting to make clearer what is
already explicit in the printed music.