On 11 Dec 2007 at 19:37, shirling & neueweise wrote:

[quoting me:]
> >I used to do that, but now I'm more often using START NEW SYSTEM in
> >measure properties, instead. The drawback on that is that it doesn't
> >get cleared when making parts.
>
> i don't really see the point, seems like more work and a much more
> inflexible result.  but if you really want to do it that way, i guess
> you could select all and deselect the start new measure checkbox.
> should work.  of course, you lose ALL "new system" settings...

The reason is because it has an effect on only one system, whereas
locking a system via moving measures with the arrow keys locks *two*
systems (yes, you can select the measures and lock those by
themselves without it locking the adjacent system, but that's more
work).

What I want is natural flow for updates everywhere but in the places
where I've said to start a new system. Locking systems works best
when you're putting *more* measures in a single system than Finale
thinks should be there, and I admit that starting a new system won't
accomplish that at all. But I'm more and more concluding that Finale
is almost always correct when it won't stuff those measures into a
single system (though I had an exception yesterday with some music
with lyrics in 3/1 that was really way too widely spaced than it
should have been so that I had to manually lock the systems to get
more measures per system than the default).

For my purposes, START A NEW SYSTEM (parts and score) and START A NEW
SYSTEM (parts OR score) would be great options.