I remember that the debut concert of the IU New Music Ensemble featured a
cellist playing Pendercki's "Capriccio per Siegfried Palm." The cellist
sitting next to me in piano class said that you couldn't give here $3000
to do that to her cello, and I found out later that the guy who played it
borrowed a school instrument to do so.

Also, the ensemble's director was very fond of saying that a bunch of
string players bitched at Monteverdi for asking them to play pizzicato,
and that we all know Monteverdi's name but not the names of any of those
whiny string players.

ajr