At 3:53 AM -0500 2/23/08, dhbailey wrote:
Ray Horton wrote:
I said that in case you were going anywhere with "G-string." But if I read you incorrectly, I apologize.

My daughter is a 31 year-old professional musician. You will get similar sentiments from _at least_ 90% of the pro violinists you talk to, at least the ones with good instruments.

And understandably so -- it's easy to ask for something which gives a unique sound, but it's not always practical. And you can't expect people with extremely expensive instruments to go doing things which will render that instrument all but useless for a week or so as it settles back into standard tuning.

But the point is that it won't!!! What we've been discussing is very minor tuning variations that will have NO permanent and virtually NO temporary effect on the instruments at all. And what's been lurking in back of this discussion--with all due respect to your daughter, Ray--is players who have been carefully taught that there is one and only one Right and Proper way to deal with the tool of their trade, which happens also to be a musical instrument, and it simply 'taint so!! We've just been going through some wild weather swings that have affected all the stringed instruments, and I can guarantee that the tuning variations people are finding when they open their cases are LESS than most of the scordature we've been discussing!

Most singers are trained the same way, of course, and you've got to have a baritone with no inhibitions and no fear if he's going to sing Orff's "Carmina Burana"!

What composers want is one thing -- what all but the most highly paid orchestras can give them may be something else entirely. :-)

I think Beethoven had the answer to that: "I write the music; you figure out how to play it!"

John

--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music