On 23 Feb 2008 at 17:18, Ray Horton wrote:

> Darcy, you have a point, but from an orchestral players standpoint, they
> see much of what is written in the name of scordatura as merely
> unnecessary:  In _Pines_ why should cellists detune when there is a bass
> section that can divide (the passage in question is very soft); in
> __heldenleben__ the 2nds play into the viola range, something the violas
> can do much better;

Well, there's quite an obvious answer:

IT SOUNDS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM THE ALTERNATIVE SCORING.

It's not even a subtle difference in the case of a violin playing
below its normal range as compared to a viola played on the bottom
string.

> in the original example that started this thread a
> novice orchestrator did not know she had exceeded the low range of the
> violin by several notes, etc.

I introduced the topic of scordatura in response to that *as a joke*.

>  These players do not want to risk a
> problem, even a temporary one, to their instrument for what they see as
> a musical situation that can be solved in an easier and better fashion
> than by one that causes its own problems..

I think it's ridiculous to worry about such a thing, even with a very
fine instrument. If it's really that unstable that you can't retune
it and have it hold its tune, then the instrument needs work!