It's even easier than that. If you hold down the opt key while you drag, you copy the file, so you can opt-drag it to the desktop, then opt-drag it back to the pref folder without renaming or anything. If you keep an alias of your prefs folder in your dock, then it really becomes a one-click-and-drag process.

Christopher