WIN XP.

I have to concur with Chris(Cb)'s estimation (below) with one hugely glaring
exception:

I recently lost a file, completely and totally.   And its .BAK.   And its .ASV.
    Every trace of that file completely disappeared and I've never - in all my
years with Finale - had such an occurrence.

I had been working with this piece off and on for a week - full orchestral
score; while working one day, I hit 'save' but was answered with an error
message and a claim that the Fin tmp file was already in use and that
therefore, the .MUS couldn't be saved.   But I had no other applications open;
no other Finale files open.   The .ASV and the .BAK disappeared; the only
things left were my empty shortcuts.   The ONLY thing remaining was the .MUS
file which with I was working - but all attempts to save it or to create
alternate versions of it failed.   I didn't panic (yet) but over the period of
an hour or so tried everything I could imagine to save this file or its
backups.   Tried creating a copy of the file and renaming the copy, but: the
perceived unavailability of the tmp file thwarted everything.   Couldn't save
to disc, couldn't do a damned thing except: print the score - which I did, as a
.PDF - so that as a last resort I could attempt to recreate the file through
PDFtoMusic.

I performed full, total searches into every damned file in the computer: every
hidden file, EVERYTHING.    But that one piece's file and its associated
back-ups were nowhere to be found.    Gone, totally.    Closed the file in the
hopes that I could reopen it, but it was gone; only the shortcuts remained and
of course: they couldn't locate the files.

The ONLY thing I could do to recreate the file was to use PDFtoMusic - and
import it into Finale.    It worked, but of course, because of the score's
complexity I had a few days' worth of work to clean it up.

Hugely frustrating experience, but worse: it created a whole new concern in me
over the potential of future such occurrences.     One of my musicians told me
he mentioned this on the Finale Forum a few days after I told him about it and
received a few helpful suggestions - and thanks to any of you who may have
offered them.

So: I upgraded (as I usually do) as soon as 2008 was on sale and yeah - like
Chris, I've found 2008 to be far more stable, the improvements including the
new Selection Tool functionality a nice change - took me about 15 minutes to
get used to it, but now when I work with 2007 or earlier, I really miss the
(semi-) logic of '08, for the most part.    And yeah: far more stable except
for the Mystery of the Disappearing File....

Best,

Les
Les Marsden
(209) 966-6988
New Cell: (559) 708-6027
7145 Snyder Creek Road
Mariposa, CA  95338-9641

Founding Music Director and Conductor,
The Mariposa Symphony Orchestra
Music and Mariposa?  Ahhhhh, Paradise!!!

http://arts-mariposa.org/symphony.html
http://www.geocities.com/~jbenz/lesbio.html