Hi Craig,

I use the full set of Garritan sounds (Jazz and Orchestra) and find them a little more than marginally better than the soft synth sounds. Some are quite good; the recording of my bass (#2 in the full set), baritone sax, some of the brass, and the piano and guitar are both pretty good. That said, there are such limitations to this whole deal of synthesized sound, and especially notation driven playback, that I never expect anything but a remote resemblance to reality - even the reality of a not very good band. Attacks, balances and dynamics changing "on the fly" are an integral part of any musical language and ensemble. Multiply that by an order of magnitude for a jazz ensemble. Any attempt to get notation driven playback to sound like that is going to fall frustratingly short.

Garritan sound playback as manipulated by experienced and musical midi experts can sound much better. Examples in the arranging book I wrote for Gary (When is he going to get around to releasing it?) were done by an Italian musician with considerable skill and taste in this area. But my own Finale playback never sounds that good, and none of it, even the highly tweaked stuff, ever fools me.

That said, it is a question of personal training and habit - how much "reality" each individual needs to stimulate his or her memory of real sounds and real players. I have become used to translating what I hear from Finale and JABB into a sketch of what I will hear from the band, and the colors help differentiate things better than just a piano sound (the way I used to work, before Garritan). But, I reiterate, balances are hopelessly unreliable, phrase shapes are almost non-existent, and, in spite of Robert Piechaud's incredible work, nothing sounds like real music.

I do take issue with the impression that these sound like the regular sounds with more reverb. In the full set, using the Kontakt player, you can adjust the reverb (I have mine set to medium or large room - not to any "hall"), or turn it off completely, and this helps to remove the blurred distinction between soft synth and Garritan. Just don't expect a revolutionary jump in playback quality.

Chuck