On 17 Feb 2009 at 14:52, dc wrote:

> I don't have the automatic update layout out on, but I update it manually
> as needed without even thinking. It's a habit I've had for so many years
> that I never even thought of changing this setting.

I'm pretty automatic with it, too, especially during the process of
doing page layout. But I only do that after the notes are all entered
and spaced appropriately.

I didn't respace the music after changing the note values, because it
didn't need to be respaced (it was generous enough that the
alterations wouldn't have altered the widths of any of the measures).
Since I don't have automatic music spacing turned on, and I didn't
respace the music, I simply don't understand why the layout would
have gotten fracked up just from me changing a few dotted whole notes
to whole note + half rest, or a few half notes to half rests. In
*all* cases was such that the exact same rhythm was found vertically
in the same measure stack, so redoing the music spacing would not
have changed the width of any of the measures in any case.