At 11:46 PM -0400 3/12/09, Christopher Smith wrote:
Yes and furthermore, the original question was pertaining to placement of a dotted half rest starting on beat 2 of a pickup measure. Syncopated rests (held over to a stronger beat) are NEVER used in modern notation, whereas syncopated notes are commonplace. I stand by my original answer. Archaic examples from the literature are not germane to a modern context.

While I mostly agree, I have to point out that an AWFUL lot of orchestral players are still reading those "archaic examples"! Including music from French publishers that have backward 8th rests for quarter rests in Saint-Saƫns et al. There's a lot of music beyond current jazz conventions, and a lot of old and older music being played on a regular basis. In fact, as David F indicated, a lot of players prefer to play from facsimiles of the original notation, even though that requires learning to interpret earlier notation conventions.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.